21 May Medication Administration Training – Accredited Practical Workshop
Date(s) - 21/05/2019
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Premier Inn Clapham
This is our main workshop (accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society). It’s a practical workshop that teaches and assesses the competencies needed to administer medication. We use simulated medicines rounds to assess staff, one at the beginning of the workshop (to tailor training to the group) and one at the end (to measure improvement).
- What forms and support plans do CQC require to ensure medicines are given in a person-centred way
- How to ensure medicines are given at the correct times in line with CQC expectations
- Where are the up to date reliable sources of medicines information
- What checks should you make on a mixed monitored dosage system (MDS)?
- How do you record medicines given from mixed monitored dosage system (MDS)?
- How should you record medicines given from original packs?
- Explain the information you would find on a pharmacy label
- How to check once opened dates and expiry dates
- How to carry out a 7-point cross check when administering medication (3 simulated medicines rounds)
- State which medicines require gloves to be worn when administering
- Demonstrate administering oral liquids from oral syringes
- Demonstrate how to administer topical items (applied to the skin)
- Demonstrate how to administer inhalers
- Demonstrate how to give an eye drop