04 Apr Managing and Learning from Medication Errors – Half Day
Date(s) - 04/04/2019
9:30 am - 1:00 pm
Ropetackle Arts Centre
Little High St
This course will teach you to manage, report and learn from medication incidents. It will enable you to provide the correct response to Safeguarding Teams and the Care Quality Commission. It will enable you to reduce the chance of harm from medication incidents occurring by learning from them.
Managers, nurses and seniors in all social care settings
- Understand how to change a culture of blame, to openness (a just culture)
- See how some of the world’s safest care providers achieved a reduction in harm from errors
- Create a reporting system to ensure the whole organization learns from incidents
- Outline what an ‘outstanding’ incident reporting system looks like to CQC (KLOE S6)
- Explain which medication incidents need reporting to Safeguarding and CQC
- Demonstrate root cause investigation so you can learn from your medicines incidents
- Explain how to spread the learning from medicines incidents
- Use the Incident Decision Tree to understand when staff need support vs intervention
CQC Key Lines of Enquiry S4: How are people’s medicines managed so that they receive them safely?
CQC Key Lines of Enquiry S6: Are lessons learned and improvements made when things go wrong?